About this objectCertificate awarded to Aperfield Women's Institute by the Royal Air Force Comforts Committee, on 10/02/1942, in recognition of their work for the Royal Air Force.
Aperfield WI bought land in Lebanon Gardens in 1927. Through fund raising they built their hall, which was opened by Countess Listowel in 1932. The hall is still owned and managed by Aperfield WI.
From 1940 Aperfield village was very much in the front line of the war, with the close proximity of the airfield and the activities of the RAF personnel. Members of the Aperfield WI carried on jam making, digging for victory, make do and mend as well as assisting with ARP duties and running keep fit and cookery classes in “Sunbury” Edward Road the WI Hall having been commandeered by the RAF in 1940. The money raised was used to purchase wool for “knitting for the forces”
In 1943 it was reported that under the leadership of Mrs Beresford and Mrs Osgood the village had produced the most woollen comforts for the forces in the Orpington area.
The Hall, which had been commandeered in 1940, was handed back in 1941 and from 1942 the WI organised Saturday night dances for RAF personnel and residents of the village with monies raised used to improve further facilities at the hall.
MakerRoyal Air Force Comforts Committee
Medium and MaterialsPaper, wooden frame and glass
certificate with frame 269mm x 341mm
certificate without frame 191mm x 264mm